Sunday, October 3, 2010

Technology = the wrong kind of intelligence?



After watching the videos assigned for my Educ 515 class I am left pondering what I am doing to my children (and students) by introducing them to technology and all of its wonders?

Am I opening a metaphoric Pandora's Box? Will I be giving my students the "gateway drug" of basic computer skills that will allow them to be exposed to too much information?

Is there such a thing as too much technology?

I am becoming increasingly aware that my children are learning a lot about technology. Before I know it my sons, ages 12, 8, and 2 will have surpassed my technology skills. It almost makes me want to stop them from taking part in it. However, I know that is not feasible. The society and culture that we have chosen to live in would be too difficult to sensor from my boys. So I earnestly move forward, teaching them the ins and outs of using a computer and to my chagrin, the Internet. All the while I will continue to instill in them my personal values and warnings about the dangers that exist. It's funny how my values now need to include a chapter on the Internet.

In truth I want them to be computer whizzes. I want them to be able to pursue careers that deal with technology if they so choose to. I do not think it would be fair for me to limit their possibilities because I have a small fear that they may be exposed to more than I want them to.

I liken it to when my mom made me cover my eyes during love scenes of a movie. I almost always peeked, but even if I didn’t I knew exactly what was going on. It’s most likely the same way for my children, at least the 12 year old anyways. Instead of telling him to look away…perhaps I should be telling him WHY he needs to look away for as long as he can.

Hmmm…new question. Perhaps technology isn’t just speeding up our productivity; perhaps it’s speeding up our children’s' childhoods.


Adding to what I've already said  -from class :)

We know about the different modalities and types of learners; visual, auditory, kinesthetic, naturalist, interpersonal, intrapersonal...perhaps technological is the new modality?

Is that an issue? I think not. Some people are going to be doctors, some mechanics, some web page designers...I believe it is important to hit all the modalities and I absolutely believe that "technological learner" is a type modality.

No comments:

Post a Comment